Vacancy - Benefits & Debt Adviser
About the Role
- Job Title: Benefits and Debt Adviser
- Location: Glasgow North West (Maryhill, Possilpark and the surrounding area)
- Hours per week: Full time, 32 hours per week (4 day working week)
- Type of contract: Funding confirmed until 31st January 2024 with likelihood of extension
- Salary: £26,237 per annum
- Closing Date: Friday 13th October 2023
About the job
Glasgow North West CAB based in Maryhill, Glasgow, is an independent and innovative advice organisation providing holistic advice and support to local people.
A Benefits and Debt Adviser delivers a holistic advice and support service. Clients will often be vulnerable by way of mental health, disabilities, poverty, language and literacy, which limits their ability to access mainstream service without additional advice, support and assistance when compared to the rest of society. The service is personalised and designed specifically to support people who are often protected adults and as a result of a range of issues have specific needs in accessing advice, assistance and support.
For more details about the key responsibilities of the role and knowledge, skills and experience required, please refer to the job description and person specification.
- To conduct in person, telephone, web chat and video call interviews, using sensitive listening and questioning skills to allow clients to explain their problem(s) and empower them to set their own priorities
- To explore clients’ circumstances, support needs and access channel preferences considering language barriers, accessibility needs, and issues around digital access and ability
- To build positive relationships with a variety of stakeholders
- To work patiently and tactfully in a non-judgemental manner with protected adults to build their trust and engagement in the work
- To develop formal links with other support agencies that could provide other support for clients to further better their circumstances
- To liaise where appropriate with bureau staff and other relevant agencies as appropriate
- To record, update and maintain information on a case management system for the purpose of continuity of casework, information retrieval, statistical monitoring, and report preparation
- To ensure that all work meets quality standards and the requirements of the funder
- To remain up to date with all relevant legislation and practice in relation to welfare benefits, debt, immigration, housing.
- To adhere to all GDPR requirements and CAB policies.
- To provide regular reports on the functioning of the work as well as progress and learning achieved
- To work to Scottish National Standards for Information and Advice giving and Citizens Advice Scotland Quality Advice Framework
- To liaise, communicate with and be operationally responsible to the Operations Manager
The above job description is not exhaustive and is clarified to include broad duties inherent in the post as reasonable requested by the bureau manager.
- Demonstrable experience of delivering advice in welfare benefits, debt, housing and immigration.
- Understanding, maintaining and practising high standard of case recording requirements as according to the project specification, CAS quality assurance and Scottish National Standards
- Ability to use telephony and IT systems to deliver services across multiple channels (web chat, telephony and video) via Avaya, Near Me, Zoom, Teams and other systems
- Experience of using a range of IT tools to carry out work, including case management systems, Microsoft Office, internet and email etc.
- Ability to work without supervision and prioritize workload
- Experience of working with people with multiple and complex needs
- Experience of working with protected adults and ability to deal with issues sensitively
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex information in a clear and accessible manner
- Excellent organisational skills
- Ability to work across multiple teams and build effective stakeholder relationships quickly
- Knowledge of a range of enquiry areas to aid with identifying emergencies
- A commitment to the aims and principles of Citizens Advice Bureau
- Ability to operate as a team player and communicate effectively with colleagues and managers
- Experience working remotely, on webchat and video conferencing (Near Me)
Glasgow North West CAB offers excellent terms and conditions, including a 4 day working week, a total of 35 days leave and a pension scheme with a 6% employer contribution. Glasgow North West CAB is an inclusive employer considering flexible working arrangements where appropriate.
Glasgow North West Citizens Advice Bureau is an equal opportunities employer.
How to apply
To apply, please complete application form and return to Victoria.Clark@gnwcab.org.uk.
Please note that we will not be accepting CVs for this position.
Please note that this post is subject to a satisfactory PVG check.
Equality & diversity monitoring
To help Glasgow North West Citizens Advice Bureau monitor equality and diversity statistics please return the Equality & Diversity Monitoring Form separate from your other application documents by emailing it to: Victoria.Clark@gnwcab.org.uk.
About the employer
Glasgow North West CAB is committed to equal opportunities both in service provision and employment.
Charity number: SC005641
Charity name: SC202642